12.15.2014

Mary's Journal Entry 11: Visit to the Temple

Previously in this series:
Mary's Journal Entries:
Introduction 1:The Announcement;  2:Elizabeth Visit;  3:Return Home from Elizabeth;  4:After Telling Joseph;  5:Joseph's Revelation;  6:Planning for a Trip;  7:Traveling to Bethlehem8: Arrival In Bethlehem  9: He's Here!!  10: Visitors in the Night

The following as if journaled from the perspective of Mary, the mother of Jesus...
~~~~~ 

We took Jesus to the temple in Jerusalem today.  We also had our sacrifice as stated by the law.

While in the temple courts a very elderly man approached us.  We learned his name was Simeon.  He took our sweet wee Jesus into his arms and praised God.  Joseph and I marveled at what he said.  It didn’t all make sense to me but from what I gathered he was now ready to die since he had seen my boy.  He called him God’s salvation, a God revealing light to the non-Jewish nations, and a glory for Israel.

It was then that my heart began to tremble as he turned to me.  He spoke words I’m not so sure I consider part of a blessing. He told me that Jesus marks both the failure and the recovery of many in Israel.  He told me my boy will be misunderstood and contradicted.  He told me the rejection will force honesty, as God reveals who they really are.  And then the final words came.  He looked deep into my eyes and said, "and a sword will pierce your own soul too".   

I caught a gasp of air in my throat.

I didn’t have much more time to think on the words before Anna came.  She was an elderly woman who had been widowed 84 years after being married only 7.  She was almost running towards us with a little girl giggle and screeching in excitement.  She broke into an anthem in praise to God and talked about Jesus to all who were waiting expectantly for the freeing of Jerusalem.  Our Jehovah has provided an answer for His promises.

It was all a bit different than what I had envisioned! 

I think I’m beginning to see a pattern.  Not my ways… not my thoughts.  God has a plan all his own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to stop and chat. I enjoy the presence of you!
~~~~~