I haven't actively participated in Susanne's Friday Favorite Five for some time. Having had the last couple of weeks that I've had, I am realizing how much... so very much... I take for granted.
Here are five things that I am thankful for this week. I don't recall having ever really even thought of these things before... until Guatemala.
1. Toilet bowls that have seats (and handles)
2. Bathrooms that have toilet paper
3. The ability to flush the toilet paper (when you have it) instead of throwing it in a trash can.
4. Clean water at any faucet: for showering, brushing teeth, washing hands, cooking, cleaning... drinking.
5. Food: never much of a wait when I'm hungry. Not having to hope for just even one meal a day.
Some of the most basic things. Things I almost assume are a given. Entitlement. "Needed."
But really... a luxury that I don't even think twice about... until I come face to face without.
I have failed to recognize them in the past, let alone be grateful for them. In fact, often when a little of my world is altered, I am tempted to be upset, critical, to have a bad attitude.
And yet, when presented with a people that has so much less, I saw more often than not... JOY!
God is helping me to work on that, this American Ingratitude I'm finding myself infected with. UGH!
Since my return I am seeing things differently. I am hearing things differently. I am tasting things differently. I am making purchases differently. I am thinking about things differently.
Honestly, one of my biggest fears right now is that this will all change and I'll go back to who I was...
Not receiving with thankfulness and gratitude...
Have you stopped recently to notice what you might have been taking for granted? Have you given thanks?...