5.11.2011

Track's Life Lesson

Although I recently took a break of silence from my blog, the schedule of our days have been far from silent.  During that time track season started.  This meant five practices a week with two meets most weeks.

With the weather we've been having, track meets found us suited up in our WARM gear.  I'm not kidding.  In fact, one meet I even wore my snow pants.  I was tired of being SO cold!  We sat through pouring rain, freezing temps, and yes... even snow!  And the athletes competed through it all...

This week was the qualifying meet to advance to districts.  My son's high jump history basically guaranteed a place in districts if he could just do his normal round of jumps.

Wouldn't you know it.  The qualifying meet found him having his most off day of the season.  UGH.  There would be no advancing to districts in this event. 


And then he was to run 2 events.

At the qualifying meet...

He took 2 seconds off of his personal best in the 400 meters.

He took 12 seconds off of his personal best in the 800 meters.  Yes, you read that right... 12 seconds!



We went into the qualifying meet prepared to go to district with the high jump.  That was not going to happen this year.

We learned yesterday, to every one's delighted amazement, that he is indeed going to districts...with his 800!

And he is runner up for the 400.  If any of the others that qualified aren't able to make it, he is next in line to compete.


Track season is not yet over... 

Of course we are so proud of his hard work and effort.  It has been exciting to watch him improve during this season.  But going to districts is not the most exciting outcome of that day.

What I witnessed in his spirit and the decisions he made on that day has me the most proud. 

Instead of being completely discouraged about his high jump and giving up, he pushed forward continuing to give everything he had to his running... just doing the best that he could.

In the middle of disappointment, I witnessed perseverance, determination, and continued hard work.  Choosing to rise above the situation and put forth his best into what he had left, even if they weren't his strongest events.

The qualifying track meet became more than an event.  It became a life lesson in pushing through.  In doing everything with excellence and giving it your very best no matter what.  In never giving up...

I couldn't be more proud!

I Cor. 9:25-27 (MSG) "Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally.  I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition."

And for the record:  it was finally a warm sunny day for the qualifying meet.  We have mild sunburns but I've not heard one complaint about it.  The sun was shining and we were all happy...

3 comments:

  1. "No sloppy living..." Isn't that a great goal? Great post. Very encouraging. *:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. What a great picture of the race that we are all running. You have taught him well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I can feel your heart swelling - the privilege of bringing up your boy! Well Done.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog - I do pray that you feel the Lord's tenderness over your circumstances x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to stop and chat. I enjoy the presence of you!
~~~~~