10.20.2010

Leviticus: Loud and Clear

Last week, our second week of reading through the Bible in 90 days, we encountered Leviticus.

When we had our small group DVD session, we were warned. Leviticus is often a difficult book to get through. Don't analyze it too much. Don't stop to study it. Just read it. Word for word, but get through it. Do not get discouraged. Do not quit.

It was outlined to read through it in three days. I read through it in two. I'll be honest. Part of that drive was to get to the other side.

However, I wanted more than that. I wanted to gain new understanding, fresh perspective and a take away from this book, the book of Leviticus.

John Walton, the speaker in the DVD session, encouraged us to remember that "every law written reveals something about the lawgiver."

I began Leviticus with a mission. I wanted to discover something about the Lawgiver. I wanted God to be revealed.

Leviticus now has so much more meaning to me than just the book of laws and sacrifices. I will forever view Leviticus in a more personal way because of two truths that came through loud and clear as I read through this book.

These two truths revealed about the Lawgiver were not new to me. However, God said them so many times that I couldn't help but notice and have them drilled deep into my head and heart.

1. I am the Lord your God...
2. I am Holy...

"The word 'holy' appears more times in Leviticus than in any other book of the Bible. And in just nine chapters of the book, God states, 'I am the Lord' 47 times (NIV Study Bible, study note for Lev. 18:2)"

As I was reading through the details of this book, I was struck and saddened with the realization of how so very often I take God for granted. My human mind can only grasp a small glimpse of His Holiness... and I am humbled.

I've been listening to the following song repeatedly since. It will probably now affectionately be referred to by me as "my Leviticus song".

God Forbid
By Point of Grace
(Click on title to listen)


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Last year I did this study too. I also learned many things by reading the Bible in chunks.Thanks for the song link, perfect one for the book of Leviticus.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to stop and chat. I enjoy the presence of you!
~~~~~