3.03.2011

Secrets to Faithfulness During Dark Times

I have experienced some difficult and dark days recently.  Dark days of my heart and soul.  I'm not able to divulge all of the details at this time.

I'm not even sure the details of the dark matter.  The fact is, I'm convinced that we all have dark days.

Plans crumble.  People Disappoint.  Dreams fade.  Hearts bleed.  Loss steals.  Promises are broken.  Life happens.

The dark comes.  And if we are not careful, it can engulf.

As I am working to the other side of these days, hope is beginning to shine through once again.  I stand back to survey the situation and I am almost shocked at what I find.

My personal quiet time remained intact through it all.  Not because I am some saint.  Not because I am super spiritual.  Not because God was moving in amazing ways during this time. 

The fact is, He has actually seemed quite silent.  Nothing.  Perhaps that is what makes my discovery even more amazing.

Even in the perceived silence I continued to seek Him out.

As I have thought on this, I believe I have stumbled upon some of the secrets to remaining faithful during dark times.

Develop the Habit in Good Times 
It has been proven that muscle has memory.  I have watched as my own daughter learned spelling words using sign language.

As she was then verbally asked to spell the word (in addition to using her signs) her mouth uttered the wrong letters while her hands continued to spell the word using the correct letters.  Muscles have memory.

I had focused on establishing my habit of meeting with God every morning.  When the dark days came, it just happened.

My body woke, brewed the coffee and found itself sitting where it had been every morning for months before.  It was the standard routine.  It remembered what to do when my mind always couldn't.



Have a Plan
I knew exactly what I would be spending each morning in quiet doing.  At the time I was reading through the Bible in 90 days.  There was chapter and verse lined out each morning.

I did not have to use any energy to think through what I would do from day to day once I sat in my chair with coffee in hand.  I knew what to do and where to head once I settled in.

I honestly believe these two things kept me from spiraling so much deeper during those days.

This side looking back, I believe wholeheartedly that God met with me each and every morning.  I believe that finding myself in His Word daily, even though I felt nothing, kept me grounded... even if it didn't seem that I was experiencing that.

What about you?  

Have you established the habit?  Would your muscles know exactly what to do and where to go to continue to acknowledge God as Lord in dark times, even when your mind could barely muster the energy to think of what to feed your family that night?

Do you have a plan?  When you do sit to meet with God, do you have a plan or do you just choose from day to day?  Are you studying a book of the Bible?  Are you working through a devotional?  Is there a Bible study you're doing?

I have learned that when I near the end of my current plan, then I need to begin thinking as to what my next plan will be.  To be left without a plan leaves me in danger of doing absolutely nothing.  And that is not a plan I want to consider!

What other secrets have you found to remaining faithful during the dark times?


8 comments:

  1. This is confirmation and exactly what I needed to hear right now. I have struggled finding a "good" time, but I really think I just have to make a time and stick to it. Life will always try to interrupt. I have to make that appointment and keep it.

    Thanks for the encouragement, as usual! :v)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your words and your insights. They really gave me a new understanding. I've been wondering about how not to lose Him when things are going from bad to worse. Your advice I think is absolutely spot on. Now I know what to do! May God shower you with His grace and blessings. May your words never fail to build up a spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too true! And well said. Thank you for acknowledging the truth -- things are always sunshine and rainbows. Even the faithful have dark and difficult days. You are so right having a plan and sticking to it makes a huge difference. Glad you seem to be on the other side. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know all about dark days and I am so sorry you are going through some at the moment.
    Yes, I have a pattern. I put on the coffee and then I sit down near the window with my word for the day and read and pray. I also have 2 bowls in the window area. I write everything which is worrying me, or which frightens me, one thing a post it note, and toss them in one bowl. And on the other, the things I am thankful for. I date those ones and have about 5 a sheet. It works for me.

    Another thing, if you have a smart phone - I downloaded a free Bible onto my phone, and can go to it any time during the day. That is absolutely wonderful, and has made such a difference to me. I can't recommend it highly enough..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post! Perfect advice.

    With the girls being sick this week i have relied heavily on my kitchen bible - there is now a hole in the first page of Ephesians...don't ask.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post today that rings so true for us. My Bible sits on my little desk and it is where I have a quiet time. Some days, especially the difficult ones, I just hold on to God's Word, literally and breath in...I feel at rest and peace. He knows our needs and all that we are going through. I also have a small hymn book and I sing to Him! These are just some ways I have learned that help me when things are difficult. thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful to see you, God's daughter, running to her Refuge. At every turn in the midst of darkness, you are sensitive to the Spirit of God to hear His voice beckoning you to stay with Him. As the saying goes, "When we fail to plan we plan to fail." You are a blessing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post...with practical and Godly advice. One secret I have also found is that during my quiet times I write out Bible verses on index cards that speak directly to me or our our family's needs. I then tape those cards all over my glass shower (on the outside facing in). I read & pray through portions of these daily as I get ready. This process (of having already posted verses) has helped keep me focused on Him and prayer during some very difficult times. Even our kids have expressed liking to bathe in our shower so they can read the verses....which was a pleasant surprise & a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to stop and chat. I enjoy the presence of you!
~~~~~