Today marks 2 weeks that there have been ill children in our house. In those 2 weeks we have had a total of 6 appointments at the doctor's office. We have picked up a total of 5 prescriptions and a nebulizer. And with no insurance, we have spent more money than I care to think about. And it's not over yet...
Even in all of this, I have been continually challenged to find the good in it... to find God in it. I have been reminded to see the blessings in the middle of what is so disappointing, so discouraging, so exhausting.
And so, in that spirit, here are five of my favorite things that have blessed and encouraged me in the middle of it all.
1. Parents Remain Well: We have been praying that my hubby and I would remain well through it all. Surprisingly, so far, we have! That in itself is a miracle considering the hours we have been putting in, the lack of sleep and the surrounding environment of germs!
2. Quiet Times: Amazingly enough, in the last week, all mornings but one have found the children all sleeping at once allowing me to continue my personal time of quiet. It has required that I purposely make the time, and to be honest there were mornings that it was more of a choice than a desire. However, as I chose to make that time, God met me in some very sweet places and I have not been sorry that I made that time!
3. Friends who Pray: For almost 2 hours one morning this week it was very critical for one of my children. The news was passed and immediately friends were praying. What a comfort it was to me to know that as I sat and waited... friends were standing in the gap for me and my child. There is comfort and power in prayer!
4. Coffee and Rain: We have been having unseasonably warm and humid summer days. One day started with refreshing rain. As I was starting my day in quiet, the smell of the brewing coffee mixed with the scent of the rainfall and helped to create an atmosphere of extra calm. I was reminded of this promise:
Hosea 6:3 (NIV) "Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth."
5. Silence: This morning, for the first time in 2 weeks, as I had my quiet time... it was truly quiet. Other mornings there had been coughing coming from all corners of the house. Not this morning. Silence. Pure, beautiful, undisturbed... silence. And it never sounded so good! Could it be this is the beginning of the end of this journey? Oh, I do pray that is so!
Regardless of what your week has held, have you taken some time to find the good in it? To find God in it? He is there if we just look for Him. As Hosea 6:3 promises, as we press on to acknowledge Him, he will appear. He will come to us. Acknowledge Him... and find Him meeting you there.
Thanks to Susanne for encouraging us to do just that... finding favorites in each week regardless of the situations it contains.
I've got my cup of coffee and am ready to listen. Tell me, what have been favorites in your week?