10.30.2009

Responding to My Fear

A few years ago, as I listened to a radio program with guest Jan Silvious, thoughts began to formulate in my mind. I took notes. I began thinking through these thoughts. I took each one apart, almost as if I were dissecting it, to be sure I could gain any bit of truth out of it.

What I Discovered and Learned


There is scientific research that shows fear and gratitude/ praise can not exist in the same brain at the same time. It physically can not happen. There are also studies that show new pathways can be created in the brain.

We have seen these new findings used in our own family. One can re-train brain pathways. We have utilized specific therapy to create new pathways in the brain to take over and do the activities that a damaged part can no longer do. I've seen it take place in relation to my child's brain injury. Why would I think I am any different?

365

The Bible says 365 times "Do Not Fear". 365 times... that's one "Do Not Fear" for every day of the year. Numerous times in the Bible, we are also commanded to “Be strong and courageous”.

We are told that “in this life you will have tribulation BUT be of good cheer”.

Tribulation? Good cheer? How can those 2 words exist in the same sentence? Ah, but they do. Why can we be of good cheer during tribulation? Why?... read the rest of that verse. God himself says, “I have overcome the world”.

John 16:33 (AMP) "I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]"

God's Will = Giving Thanks

The Bible also says in I Thessalonians 5:18 “In everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.”

So often I pray for God to show me His will. Sometimes I struggle and think, "God, why aren't you showing me Your will?". This verse tells me what part of that will is.

His will for me is that I give thanks… in everything. This command is for my good. If I can be thankful, focus on Him, praise Him... then the fear in my brain will be made small. It has to. It’s now being proven scientifically.

I can retrain the pathways in my brain, in those moments that fear begins to creep in, to move to moments of praise and thanksgiving rather than fear.


If God says, “Give thanks, do not fear, be strong, be courageous, this is my will for you”… then there has to be something significant in that. If there wasn’t, He wouldn’t tell us repeatedly to do it.

Repeatedly I read, “Do not fear… give thanks” and everywhere I look in that I can hear him whisper...trust me, trust me, trust me.

Choices

God created us with the freedom of choice. We can choose how we are going to react, to think, to respond, to feel. We get to choose. Some choices are easy, some choices are hard.

God calls us to make the choice of trusting Him in all things!

Sometimes that is a very easy choice to make. Other times that is a very difficult choice to make, a hard choice, perhaps one of the hardest of my life. It is not always easy, but that is what He asks of me.

I have found that choice of trusting is in a moment by moment situation. It is not a one time thing. I must decide in this moment, with what I am facing... will I trust or will I fear?

I find that sometimes my fear becomes so overpowering that this choice MUST become moment by moment. It is not something I just decide to do and then do it. It must be very purposeful, very determined, very intentional.

I must make the conscious effort, in that moment as fear is gripping my heart, to begin to praise and be grateful to a God that has overcome that fear, my fear… a God that has overcome the world.

One brain, two choices. Praise OR Fear... they can't both be there at the same time. Science is now proving it is not physically possible. So, which will it be? Try it out ... see what you think!

1 comment:

  1. this is so timely for a frien d who suffers from ocd so badly that it has crippled her life!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to stop and chat. I enjoy the presence of you!
~~~~~